Wednesday 17 December 2014

Extension activity - Who makes title sequences?

Extension Activity – who makes title sequences?

·      A title sequence is the method by which films or television programs present their title, key production and cast members, or both, utilizing conceptual visuals and sound. It usually follows but should not be confused with the opening credits, which are generally nothing more than a series of superimposed text. Film title sequences have been a showcase for contemporary design and illustration.

·      Title designers, senior and lead programmers and technical designers create sequences. Technical designer John Mckellan is a designer for creative assembly. He was at CA for just over four years now, starting just as the project was beginning pre-production. He came in to cover mostly 2D and video work, graphic design and UI-related art, proof of concept videos, that sort of thing. Prior to CA he participated a few motion graphic jobs, some short film, and a lot of graphic design freelance.

Erin Sarofsky’s opinion on his concept ideas and relationship with the producer.

We were asked to come in to see the movie and meet with Jennifer Bergman, the producer. We saw the film and talked about the technical requirements, but did not get any creative notes. They wanted to see what we came up with without any influence from them. I did press for some, because I find my best work comes when I really understand what the director is looking to achieve, but it was clear that we would have to brainstorm from square one. A week later, at the pitch, we met the creative team”.


He also gave his assessment on how he presented his options and how he ended up choosing his direction for filmmaking. “How I sequence a presentation is very important to me. When arranging the boards, I think about what I want to talk about and how I want the conversation to go. In the past, the Russo’s and I have had similar opinions about things, so I felt like my instincts were going to be on target… So I started the presentation there. Throughout the pitch, the team kept going back to one specific board. That first one. You could tell that every other concept we explored just made that one stronger. In addition to its graphic, bold simplicity, they loved how the concept was a nod to the fact that the film is, at its core, a spy/political thriller. And they loved that the look would be totally unique in the Marvel franchise”.

No comments:

Post a Comment